Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Defining the Data

Just a quick note.

Increasingly the challenge is becoming how to make things simple when it comes to web analytics. Keep the data clean and readable. There are simply so many options and so many potential things to report on, what ends up happening is that information begins to get convoluted again. Sometimes I wonder why people don’t just read over their unabridged server logs. It seems like the data is just as good. Well, anyhoo, I have to prepare for my first fortune 500 meeting, things are moving briskly. They want me to be the technical mind at this meeting. Should be no sweat. The awesome thing about web analytics is that no one knows the lingo yet, so what ends up happening is I sound unduly impressive without even trying. I would rather my clients understand, so I will teach them.

 

Gotta crawl before you can analyze data. or something.

 

1 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger chopper said...

You're not kidding... if only people were trained to understand raw server logs from an early age, we wouldn't have this reporting issue.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to read about these tentative steps toward defining the industry; I expect a constant supply of useful acronyms and up to date coverage of what I can offer my clients.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home